What are the advantages as well as disadvantages of using website templates
There are some businesses especially startups or those on a shoestring budget which prefer using website templates for creating their own websites. Others don’t prefer it as they feel it involves a lot of hassle. Here are some advantages and disadvantages of using website templates. Based on the pros and cons one can decide if they want to go in for a website template or if they would rather have the website built from scratch and that too customized and built by a website designer.
Advantages of website templates
- You can choose from hundreds and thousands of designs which are there. You do not need to think of the exact colors, shades, fonts and then describe it to the designer who may or may not share your vision. Here what you see is what you will be getting. Those that are not very good with colors or designing consider this as a boon as they may not be aware of what they should use or what combinations they should use for creating the website.
- As the templates are already made, these can be put to the test to see how the visitors will navigate around the site and how the matter needs to be displayed on the site. This allows the owner to get a first hand feel of the site.
- You can instantly start creating the site without waiting for the designer to design the site before you can test it out. That way it saves a lot of time and the site can be up and running, thus attracting more customers and leads.
- These sites are cheaper than building a site from scratch and as the amount of time required to have these sites up is lesser, there are more chances for people to go to the site.
However these website templates also have their fair share of disadvantages.
Disadvantages of website templates
- The expansion of the website is usually limited when one gets a website template. There are chances that the number of navigation links are limited. Therefore, adding of more pages gets tricky or adding more products or services as well. Therefore in the long run if the company or business plans to go aggressive in expansion, they should stay away from website templates which have limited links.
- Some of the website templates lack originality and are plain looking. They may not have the wow factor that a custom made site would have. Also the template design could be used by various businesses and thus even though you may add your logo and change the color scheme but still it will not look unique.
- The custom designers could perhaps insert images and content as well as add the shopping cart and more. When you have website templates, the task lies with you to optimize images and make HTML links and even adding buttons for the shopping cart.
These in short are the pros and cons associated.